Airlines Martin 2-0-2 N170A
To replace their
DC-3s, Allegheny purchased a fleet of Martin 2-0-2 airliners from both
and TWA in the mid 1950s.
The first of these is shown above and was formerly N93042 with
in 1947). It passed first to California Central Airlines as their
"City of Oakland"
before going to Allegheny as "The
Pennsylvanian". Although possessing improved performance
over the trusty DC-3s, the Martins were
noisy and unpressurized and did not receive universal
approval. As a result they were replaced in the 1960s by Convair
340's. Photo courtesy