havilland D.H.82A Tiger Moth
What a heap! This was actually one of the first Tigers in New
Zealand, being registered as
with ZK-AFN) in January of 1938. It was owned, at that time, by
Club. It was impressed into the RNZAF in 1939 as NZ720.
war it was
issued free to the Hawera Aero Club as ZK-ASA. It was not
operated by the
went to Air Contracts Ltd of Masterton as topdresser. It is seen
in that role above.
By 1956 it had
been converted back to a club machine and leased to the Wairarapa and
Club. It went to D. Fraser of Masterton in 1957, and to Aerial
in 1958 and was used for banner towing. It has subseqently had a
series of owners
but has not
been airworthy since 1959, but was re-registered back to ZK-AFO in 1981
J.Galpin of Te
Puke.. It is currently believed to be stored in Pongakawa.